Sunday 12 February 2012

My Week According to Twitter - Week 6



This week was my first week back in the lab and in lectures after the break for Christmas and exams. I was repeating an experiment I had done before Christmas but on a larger scale, so I knew what I was doing and my first two days in the lab were really productive and everything seemed to work well. However, when it came to Wednesday things stopped behaving.




Wednesday was the Ultimate Fair at Uni, which is a combination of the Freshers Fair, Sports Fair and Careers Fair. This means loads of free stuff including Domino's Pizza and sweets. As I was taking full advantage of this I wasn't too bothered about my failing experiment.





On Wednesday evening I went to the gym again, it wasn't as busy this time so I've decided my new favourite time to go is 7.30pm. I also managed to have half a game of solitaire while on the bike. I'm still not convinced the refurbishment is an improvement though.





Something I forgot to tweet this week was that on Friday I had managed to get some crystals of my product! So it was a productive week in the lab after all.



This weekend was the 15th annual University of Sheffield International Student Teams Judo Competition (USIST). It started on Friday evening when we had to move 5 van loads of Judo mats from Goodwin Sports Center to Tapton School. Teams from other universities started arriving around the same time to weigh in. They then had their first sleep on the mats in the cold sports hall, but I chose to go back to my comfy (but also cold) bed at around midnight. I got a few hours sleep before heading back to Tapton School for 7.30am on Saturday, ready to help with breakfast.

Around 10am the competition started but with about 20 teams entered it was going to take all day. I wasn't fighting, so was generally helping with what ever needed doing, which including making teas and filming fights. Unfortunately neither of the Sheffield Uni teams progressed past the second round, but everyone fought well. By 5pm it was time for the final between Munster and Edinburgh. It was a tense and very entertaining few fights. Munster won the first 3 before Edinburgh pulled back the next 3. It was done to one final golden score re-fight, which Munster managed to win to take gold. I've definitely not done it justice so here are some links to videos of the final:

Fight 3
Fights 4, 5 and 6
Golden Score Fight

Once the competition was over it was time for the social. First stop was the pub for food and drinks and the traditional boat race, which one again Bristol won. They are machines. Next we headed down to the student union for Poptarts. One standout moment was when Whitney Houston was playing and my mate turned to me to tell me that she had died that evening. Next second the fire alarm started going off. In my merry state I seemed to think that this was some sort of conspiracy... Anyway, we were soon allowed back in to carry on the dancing with the final song of the night being a full playing of the previously cut short Whitney song. It was a really fun night and it finished with a taxi ride back up to Tapton School for a night sleeping on the judo mats.

After only a few hours sleep it was time for everyone to go home and for members of Sheffield Uni Judo Club to transport the 5 van loads of mats back down to Goodwin sports center. The fact that most of us were hungover did not particularly help and by 1pm when all the mats were back in their home we were all glad that it was going to be a year before it all happened again. Thankfully we were rewarded for our help with lots of free food and a free Poptarts ticket. What more could a student want!? I found out today that

The whole weekend was really good fun and very well organised by our captain Pete and the committee. I won't be around for it next year, but hopefully Sheffield can come away with a medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment